Leading airlines, hotels and resorts and car rental companies offer excellent federal employee travel discounts. This also extends to U.S. Military, National Guard and Veterans.
The combined savings for both official government and leisure travel is considerable for those who serve our country.
What You Should Know
The majority of discounts are offered exclusively to active and retired military but many companies also offer price breaks for non-military federal employees.
Keep in mind, even when a national company has a government program in place, some discounts are available only at participating locations.
Depending on each company’s program, restrictions can vary and virtually all require a valid government ID to receive discounts or special offers.
Many provide the details of their government program on their websites while others require a phone call to find out if federal discounts are offered.
Fare discounts and benefits vary from airline to airline. In fact, some airlines like Allegiant, Virgin America, Spirit and Frontier, do not offer discounted flights and choose to support our military, veterans, and their dependents, by offering select free services (call for details).
Most airlines listed below offer discounted fares only to active-duty members of the U.S. military services and their dependents. Others extend fare discounts to federal employees traveling on government business.
In many cases, government rates can’t be accessed when booking flights online and you’ll have to call the airline’s reservations phone number (see below).
Remember – you’ll have to present your official government ID at the airport to check in and get your boarding pass.
- Military fares for active duty personnel and their dependents in some markets
- Military fares are only available when booking tickets by phone
- Military passengers and their dependents can check up to five bags free
- Government and active military fares offered in some markets for service members and dependents (veterans do not qualify)
- Up to five free checked bags when traveling on orders
- Up to three free checked bags when not traveling on orders
- Special discounts and companion fares apply to certain flights and routes, to active-duty military members and some government employees
- Discounted flights for traveling on orders or personal travel (depending on flight)
- Exclusive military discounts through Delta Vacations
- Up to five free checked bags at 100 pounds each when on travel orders
- Up to two free checked bags at 50 pounds each when on leisure travel
- A percentage discount on traditional fares for active duty military and their dependents (discount varies based on the flight)
- 5% off fares, and two free checked bags, for Veterans Advantage® members* and active duty military and their dependents
- Active duty military not traveling on orders, and their dependents, can use a special military class fare
- Up to five free bags per person for active duty military traveling on orders and their dependents
- Up to two bags per person for active duty military traveling for leisure and their dependents
- Offers Veteran Advantage® members* up to a 5% discount on tickets for United- and United Express®-operated flights purchased on united.com
- Discounts also apply to family members of active duty or veteran military members (eight-traveler limit)
- Certain special promotional Web fares are not eligible
Customer Service: 800-872-7245
- 10% discounts for active duty military and their spouses, including the auto train
- Children of active duty military ages 2 to 12 eligible for a 10% discounts in addition to everyday children’s 50% discount
- • Discounts for federal employees traveling nationwide on official government business (email for information: AmtrakGovernmentTravel@Amtrak.com)
Hotels & Resorts
A number of the major hotels and resorts like those listed below offer excellent discounts to military and federal government employees. Also check with smaller hotel chains and independently-owned lodgings – many offer military discounts, too.
Some offer a government discount for both business and leisure travel. Others restrict discounts to official government business travel.
Military, veteran and federal government personnel must present a valid ID to check in and you may also be required to present travel orders for accommodations booked for official government business.
Best Western Hotels & Resorts, North America
- Military, veteran and federal government personnel discounts of 10% or more
- Additional perks provided through the Best Western Services Rewards Program
- Government discounts at over 2,700 participating properties (based on availability)
- Discounts for government and military employees on official travel status
- Discounts for active and retired military, and their dependents, on leisure travel
- Additional perks through the Choice Privileges® Armed Services Program
Hilton Hotels & Resorts
- Government and military rates and discounts at participating hotels and resorts
- Military Family Rate of 10% off leisure stays for active and retired military, and their families, at participating hotels and resorts
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts
- Offers discounted rates and special offers to military personnel, veterans and government employees, and their families
- Discounts available at participating properties in the United States
La Quinta Inns & Suites
- Discounted rates are at or below established local federal per diem amounts for both business and leisure travel at participating properties
- Available to active duty and retired military, and federal government employees
- Government rates for qualified active duty military and government personnel at participating properties
- Most properties offer the government rate for both leisure and official business travel
- Marriott Vacation Club promotions for active, veteran and reserve military
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
- Discounts within the allowable per diem government rate for active military and government employees
- Based on availability at participating properties (blackout dates and other restrictions may apply)
Virtually all major car rental companies offer discounted rates for federal government employees and military personnel. Many also offer discounts for veterans and family members and provide discounts for leisure travel. Some provide additional benefits for members of Veterans Advantage®.*
Alamo: Book government rates online or call 800-GO-ALAMO.
Avis: Provides discounts in partnership with Veterans Advantage®.* Can book online or call 800-352-7900.
Budget: Provides discounts in partnership with Veterans Advantage®.* Can book online or call 800-214-6094
Dollar: Book government rates online or call 800-800-4000.
Enterprise: Participating vendor for the U.S. Government Car Rental Agreement for official government business travel; also offers leisure discounts to military personnel. Book online or call 855-266-9565.
Hertz: Book government rates online or call 800-654-3131.
National: Book government rates online or call 844-393-9989.
*Veterans Advantage® is the leading card program for U.S. military veterans, active duty military, National Guard and Reserve members. To learn more about the 30-day trial go to: www.veteransadvantage.com